Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Where have all the Fa-rrers gone.....
















...long time passing...wah wah...where have all the Fa-rrers gone....long time ago?

I'm so sorry its been ages since I last wrote but I have a ton-load of excuses starting with number 1. Please disregard my last post as it is totally invalid. After cleaning up poopy underwear for a year, I officially quit and put Joseph back in pull-ups. Yes, I'm the only mom in the universe with a 4 year old in pull-ups. It was just stressing us both out so bad that I said "forget it!!!" We were both relieved. He is perfectly happy to wear them and doesn't care that all his friends wear underwear. Nor does he care if I wipe his poopy bottom in front of his friends. Ahhhh....sweet relief.


Reason number 2. Dave's dad died on New Years Eve. He had a massive heart attack at 62 and just died suddenly. It was really weird to get that call and to tell Dave. It still seems so unreal. We went home for a week and helped Dave's mom figure things out. It was really good to be together with his amazing sibs and their spouses. We were able to laugh and hang-out a lot and share funny Rand stories. The hardest part was Joseph asking every day, "Where's Papa Farrer? I miss him." He loved his Papa Farrer so much and spent hours playing trains and cars with him. We all miss him. We now talk about Heavenly Father and Jesus a lot and how much Grandma misses papa Farrer too.




Reason number 3. Isaac is a little pill. (that is a term of endearment by the way) This child is practicing to be 2 although his b-day is not until July. He would rather eat out of the garbage can than eat his food in his high chair. In fact, he throws it all on the floor and then eats if off the floor when I get him down. As for his other favorite stunt, he LOVES the potty. One day as I was sitting on the potty myself with my head in my hands trying to hide from the world, I hear him come in, then splash! Do you remember Fillmore from the cars movie?? Well, he only takes organic fuel. Yes, he found plenty of it in my toilet. I nearly panicked and reached through my own urine to fish him out. What was I thinking??? I had the sense to take a breath and go get a rubber glove first thank heavens! He talks like crazy in real sentences! He calls his blanky "Nuggent". Not that we can even EAT chicken nuggets anymore. (See Reason number 4)

Reason number 4. Joseph is officially allergic to everything. List?? fish,nuts,soy,wheat,garlic,onion,pumpkin,turkey,peppers,mango,pineapple,orange,lemon,tomatoes, and my favorite.....sulfites. What the heck are sufites???look it up. its in almost every single thing you eat. We've been to both the allergist and the naturopath so we got both sides covered so no one can judge us. Did I mention we're also off cow's milk?? Well, if you're going to be a food freak, Portland is the place to do it right? "Keep Portland Weird", right? We're just doing our part. So I've spent most of the past week and a half researching what the heck our family CAN eat and spending a pretty penny at the health food stores. "Health Food???" Ok, so the people who shop there are scrawny, pale, and the sickliest people I've ever seen! Don't be offended, because now I'm ONE OF YOU!!! Urrgh! We drink goat milk and eat nasty gluten free bread. My poor kids eat rice animal crackers. We're going to starve to death. Luckily when Joseph is gone, me and Isaac binge on peanut butter(nuts) and jam(pectin, a sulfite) sandwiches(wheat)! I've told Dave he has to take me out to eat once a week so I don't die!

Which brings us to our next point. To make time for this whole change in our lives, I had to quit my oh so lucrative home business. I will no longer be selling Scentsy candles. Well, actually I have quite a nice supply in stock for 10% off if you find yourself in need of a little something special come Mothers Day or Christmas or Halloween or what have you. The main thing is you will be very disappointed that there will no longer be a Customer of the Week. You might find this a hard pill to swallow, but never fear! I'm replacing it with a "Freak Recipe of the Week" contest. You send me a recipe that is wheat,dairy,soy,nut,fish,sulfite,etc. free and you win!!! I'll be sitting by the phone waiting! Meanwhile my poor starving little family will be waiting too...eating nothing but....Easter eggs.

4 comments:

Courtney B said...

So sorry that life has been crazy.

I am not an expert on such restricted diets, but I know a tiny tiny bit. First of all, have you talked to some of the people who work at New Seasons? Depending on who you talk to, they might be able to help. That is one thing that I love about that store, people there tend to be very knowledgeable.

So, is he allergic to ALL nuts? You could make green smoothies with the fruits he can have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXr8-jru1KE

What about chia seeds? Have you tried hemp milk?

That is super, super tough! Good luck :)

Suzanne said...

Great to have you back! I've missed your updates! Super cute kids! So sorry about the allergies, what a pain! I'm also sorry about Dave's dad. It's weird to get old, which means your parents are older and old enough to have things happen. I'm sorry. Hang in there with everything! You're awesome!

Gemia said...

Chin up baby, Im here for you. I'll make some cinamon rolls this weekend for us "adults" when we do dessert. You can Do IT...he he he

Laura Standage said...

Hi JoLynn...if it makes you feel any better, Michael's almost 4 & being diaper-free is NOWHERE in sight. I'm sorry to hear about Dave's dad; 62 is so young! I'm glad Dave has such an awesome family to support one another & especially his mom. Hang in there! ~Laura